Since 1882 when John Bate and William Risley trekked through the bush from Lismore in search of land, the village of Federal has had a well-deserved reputation for community spirit.
In the beginning the settlers helped each other clear the land for farms. As they became more established, families like the Bates played an important role in founding schools and churches for the community. They set a legacy. Ever since, the residents have worked tirelessly to raise funds for community centres like the Federal School of Arts (known locally as 'The Hall') which opened its doors in 1895, the Anglican Church which opened in 1909, and more recently Federal Park and the tennis court.
Lately, they've fought to keep their local store open and, in 2012, they put their fundraising hats on again and raised over $220,000 to buy the deconsecrated Anglican Church. The Church, which sits next door to the Hall, was to be sold to help pay off a considerable debt incurred by the Anglican Archdiocese. The community felt very strongly that it was important to maintain the building and the grounds for public use particularly as it was situated so close to the Hall.
The result of their phenomenal effort is a wonderful 'double amenity' for the Federal community - the Hall and the Church buildings known collectively as Jasper Corner.